THE EFFECT OF MOUTHWASH COMBINATION OF IMMUNOGLOBULIN-Y ANTI-COMD STREPTOCOCCUS MUTANS AND CHITOSAN ON THE FORMATION OF STREPTOCOCCUS MUTANS BIOFILM
Keywords:Biofilm, Chitosan, IgY, Streptococcus mutans, Mouthwash
Objective: The objective of this study was to investigate the effectiveness of immunoglobulin Y (IgY) antibodies as a dental caries vaccine by utilizing
IgY specific to the quorum-sensing signaling receptor ComD of Streptococcus mutans combined with chitosan in the form of mouthwash.
Methods: The effects of a mouthwash containing IgY anti-ComD S. mutans with and without chitosan on biofilm-forming isolates of S. mutans were
investigated. Subjects were assigned to rinsing twice daily for 6 days with 15–20 ml mouthwash solution for 30 s. Biofilm formation of S mutans
isolated from the patiens was measured using a crystal violet method to determine the optical density at 490 nm.
Results: The results indicated that mouthwash containing IgY anti-ComD S. mutans and chitosan significantly enhanced the biofilm formation of
S. mutans. In mouthwash containing IgY anti-ComD S. mutans without chitosan, a reduction in biofilm formation was observed; however, this was not
Conclusions: The mouthwash combination of IgY anti-ComD S. mutans and chitosan enhanced the biofilm formation ability of S. mutans isolated from
caries and caries-free subjects. Further, research is needed to determine the appropriate concentrations of IgY anti-ComD S. mutans and chitosan
required to effectively inhibit dental caries.
advantage. Worlds Poult Sci J 2004;60:341-8.
2. Shivakumar KM, Vidya SK, Chandu GN. Dental caries vaccine. Indian
J Dent Res 2009;20:99-106.
3. Widjaja A. Yolk imunoglobulin (IgY) to prevent tooth caries. M I Ked
4. Nguyen SV, Icatlo FC Jr., Nakano T, Isogai E, Hirose K, Mizugai H,
et al. Anti-cell-associated glucosyltransferase immunoglobulin Y
suppression of salivary mutans streptococci in healthy young adults.
J Am Dent Assoc 2011;142:943-9.
5. Napimoga MH, Höfling JF, Klein MI, Kamiya RU, Gonçalves RB.
Transmission, diversity and virulence factors of Streptococcus mutans
genotypes. J Oral Sci 2005;47:59-64.
6. Bachtiar EW, Afdhal A, Meidyawati R, Soejoedono RD,
Poerwaningsih E. Effect of topical anti Streptococcus mutans igY gel
on quantity of S. mutans on rats’ tooth surface. Acta Microbiol Immunol
7. Bachtiar EW, Soejoedono RD, Bachtiar BM, Henrietta A,
Farhana N, Yuniastuti M, et al. Effects of soybean milk, chitosan, and
anti Streptococcus mutans igY in malnourished rats’ dental biofilm and
the igY persistency in saliva. Interv Med Appl Sci 2015;7:118-23.
8. Bachtiar EW, Bachtiar BM, Soejoedono RD, Wibawan IW, Afdhal A.
Biological and immunogenicity property of igY anti S. Mutans comD.
Open Dent J 2016;10:308-14.
9. Hennen WJ. Chitosan. Pleasant Grove, Utah: Woodland Publishing
10. Dutta PK, Dutta J, Tripathi VS. Chitin and chitosan: Chemistry,
properties and applications. J Sci Ind Res 2004;63:20-31.
11. Tri AA. Solution Combination Effects of Imunoglobulin Y Anti
Streptococcus mutans and Chitosan Towards Biofilm Formation
Process Streptococcus mutans (Serotype c, e, f) and Streptococcus
sobrinus (Serotype d) in-vitro. [Dissertation]. Jakarta: Universitas
12. Febyani N. Efect of Immunoglobulin Y (IgY) Anti Streptococcus
mutans and Chitosan Towards Streptococcus mutans Serotype c, d, e
dan f. [Dissertation]. Jakarta: Universitas Indonesia; 2009